Sunday, December 14, 2008

Pleasantly Surprised

To see someone so young want to help others and start a community service group is inspiring.  To see even more teenagers involved with helping others as opposed to being self-involved, is even better.  Not many teenagers want to be involved in helping others, in participating in community service.  And they certainly don't give up their Saturday afternoons.  Yet this Saturday afternoon, I got to spend time with a group of bright, caring, appreciative youngsters.  It gave me a sense of hope, especially for the youth of Manhasset.  

I have lived in this town for over a decade and seen it all- Louis Vuitton-toting 7th graders, cell-phones to the ears of 2nd graders, and teens with their learner's permits driving BMWs.  I overhear the conversations of teens, very self-involved.  I have seen kids treat me like I am from another planet when I tell them that I didn't have a cell phone until I was 16, or that I don't have a fireplace in my room, or any number of other things.  Sometimes these kids just don't realize HOW privileged they are.

To interact with the members of Manhasset Students for Peace Through Understanding was a  breath of fresh air.  Each member was acutely aware of how privileged they really are, and are thankful for being blessed.  Furthermore, they want to do good for others and help those that aren't nearly as fortunate as they are.  Perhaps a marker of Christmas is hope, and these kids gave me just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment